Monday 17 October 2011

Fresh Gravel

I live just off a highway on a dirt road. Last week the municipality did some work and laid down a bed of fresh gravel. This is good for the road but not so good for my car. But the great thing about the fresh gravel is that it has forced me to slow down, to give myself more time. Since the maintenance work has been completed I have noticed some thing’s I have apparently been missing while I was speeding to my next destination. For example there is a sumac bush just a little way from my home that is in full, vibrant fall colour, it's yellows, oranges and reds make it actually look like it is on fire. I swear I have never seen it before and it is beautiful.

How could I miss something so amazing?

Well, if I am honest, it's because I have been rushing to get as much done in as short a time as possible.  Checking off my "to do" list with my focus on "get it done" and not necessarily
being present as I do. I have recently started to take time to stop and admire the sumac, it reminds me that quality over quantity is my goal. A stunning display of nature is worth more then a forest of trees when we take a second to appreciate it. A sincere, heartfelt conversation is more valuable then hours of idle small talk when you pause to really connect and to listen.


I'm not sure when everything became so urgent or immediate.When I was a kid things seemed to move slower, we walked among the trees, we swam in the creeks and picked apples on the road sides. Adults spent more time at home and definitely less time on the phone. The pace of the world has increased but the consensus is that quality of life has not. Our perspective is off balance as Emmy Rossum sings we are "running in circles.... forgetting our purpose".
I yearn for those slower days and mourn for the things that I may have missed while I wasn't paying attention. I don't want to let life pass me by so I will make a conscious effort to balance not being too busy as to miss out on life with not being so slow as to no longer be current. 
     
I obviously need to accomplish certain tasks throughout my day but I am attempting to balance it with an appreciation for the day itself and the things that I am doing. Keeping my purpose in the back of my mind and still being present to enjoy a friend, a great view, a sumptuous flavour. Not losing myself in the busy-ness of activity is proving to take some effort but I keep replaying all of the cliches over in my head, smell the roses, embrace the moments, enjoy the journey. And, if all else fails, I'll pull onto a dirt road and find some fresh gravel.




No comments:

Post a Comment